Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cream of Broccoli and Cheddar Soup


Okay not the best picture but I am just trying to give you a general idea of what it is supposed to look like when you are done. Don't want you cooking blind here (and for a long time, I could not cooking anything without a picture!). This recipe comes from a cookbook that I LOVE. My MIL gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago and I cook a lot out of it. Especially the soups. It is called "Favorite Brand Name Best Loved Recipes of All Time." Yes it is a LONG name, but good recipe book.

I made this for Halloween dinner this year. We had already had chili at our ward party and pizza the night before at our family get together so I couldn't think of anything "Halloweeny" to make for dinner. I decided just to have a nice comforting soup and broccoli cheese is one of my favorites.

1 pound fresh broccoli
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
2 TBS butter or margarine
2 TBS all-purpose flour
2 cups of milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups (8 oz) cheddar cheese

Chop broccoli florets; thinly slice stems. Combine broccoli and broth medium saucepan; heat to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 7 minutes or until broccoli is fork tender (if you want it chunky like I do, leave 1 cup of broccoli pieces out and add later to soup with the puree)

Transfer in thirds to food processor or blender. Process until fairly smooth. Melt butter in same saucepan; add flour. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until bubbly. Add milk and pepper; heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; add broccoli puree. Stir in Cheddar cheese; heat just until cheese melts (do not boil), stirring constantly. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment