Thursday, October 1, 2009

Raised Doughnuts



I love doughnuts. I have two recipes that I love to make, but they aren't like this one so I decided to try these kind of doughnuts. So good! The kids loved them.

2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. salt
2 T. shortening
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
2 eggs, beaten
7 c. all purpose flour
oil for deep frying (I use shortening)
additional sugar for coating

Stir water, sugar, salt and shortening together in a large mixing bowl; sprinkle yeast on top. Set aside; cool to room temperature. Blend in eggs; gradually add flour. Cover and let rise until double in bulk. roll dough out to 1/2 inch thickness; cut with a doughnut cutter. Set aside; cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. Deep fry in 360 degree oil until golden; drain, spoon sugar into a paper bag; add doughnuts and shake to coat.

The fun thing about this is that the kids can help shake the doughnuts in the sugar.

Note-doughnuts frying is a little tricky. If they cook too fast the inside will be doughy. Just watch the oil and if you feel they are starting to cook faster and faster, turn it down.


My finished product. The neighborhood kids loved them (I am fine with them eating them as I just like making them, not gaining all the weight from eating them)

No comments:

Post a Comment