Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Best Waffles


I am not a huge waffle fan. When I was little I did 4H and my mom found this in a cookbook they had. It is the best waffle recipe I have tasted as it isn't dense. I also like that you can make a big batch of the mix and then use it for a while. First you make the quick mix and then you only take a little of that and add the fresh ingredients to it each time you want to make a batch of waffles.

Quick Mix Recipe

10 c. flour
1/4 c baking powder
1 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
4 tsp salt
1/4 c. sugar
1 3/4 c nonfat dry milk
1 2/3 c shortening

Combine ingredients (cut shortening in with a knife) and store in an airtight container.

To make the waffles

2 1/4 c Quick Mix
2 eggs beaten
1 tbs sugar
1 3/4 c water
1 tbs oil

Mix and cook your waffles!

Good Syrup (my sister-in-law Amy's recipe)

4 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tbs corn syrup
2 c. water
1 tbs vanilla
1 tsp maple

combine everything except vanilla and maple. Bring to a boil and cover. Boil gently for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool a little and add vanilla and maple.

No comments:

Post a Comment