Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pumpkin Cake Roll


I recognize that this is more of a fall recipe, but I like to "practice" things before I need to make them for someone, so I decided to practice this one.


3 eggs
1 c of sugar
2/3 c canned pumpkin
1 tsp lemon juice
3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 c powdered sugar
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
4 TBS butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c chopped pecans

Beat eggs and sugar together. Add pumpkin and lemon juice and mix together. In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. Fold into pumpkin mixture.
Line jelly roll pan with waxed paper. Grease lightly. Spread pumpkin mixture evenly in pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn out immediately onto a clean dishtowel sprinkled with powdered sugar, removing the waxed paper. Sprinkle more powdered sugar on top of cake. Start at one end, carefully rolling towel and cake together. Cool on counter top.
Combine the 1 cup powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Gently unroll cake onto cutting board, removing towel. Spread cream cheese filling over top. Sprinkle with pecans. Roll back up. cover with waxed paper and chill in refrigerator. Best when made a day ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Em! Okay, so this is a lot like my mom's recipe (possibly from the same place way back when-who knows) but when I try to make it, my pumpkin layer always cracks. The elevation here is the same as Salt Lake so I haven't had to alter any of my recipes for that; I'm great at following a recipe, but if it doesn't work out, I can't trouble shoot to fix it. Any ideas? Thanks, I love your ideas here! Mel

    ReplyDelete