Sunday, March 13, 2011

Fried Chicken

I LOVE fried chicken. We had this dish on Sunday a lot when I was growing up and I always would get excited when I knew we were going to have it. Now some of you are rolling your eyes that I am even putting this on here, but I have a recipe for good fried chicken, and when I was trying to figure out how to do it on my own I had no idea. So, this is for people "Just trying to figure it out..." Found in this cookbook.


3/4 all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 frying chicken (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cut up or chicken pieces (I usually just buy a big thing of drumsticks as that is my boys' piece of choice)
1/2 cup shortening

1/ Combine flour, salt and pepper in paper or plastic bag. Add a few pieces of chicken at a time. Shake to coat.

2. heat shortening to 365 degrees in electric skillet (this is how I do it, LOVE my electric skillet), or on medium-high heat in a large heavy skillet. Fry chicken 30 to 40 minutes without lowering heat. Turn once for even browning. Drain on paper towels.

Please note that for this type of fried chicken the chicken MUST have skin on it. I have tried it with boneless, skinless and it is very bad...Just sayin'

No comments:

Post a Comment