Sunday, March 20, 2011

MCK"s Delicious French Bread


So really I am such a wimp when it comes to cooking. I think I like to post recipes on this blog because I can see that I did make a few things and it gives me the courage to try more things. I grew up in a home where my mother made amazing bread and rolls. I have always made those wonderful homey recipes and haven't really felt a need to venture much beyond those great stand by recipes. Well, I really love french bread. But I really hate when it is stale and cold from the store (and it gets that way FAST). Have you ever had it when it is nice and hot, right out of the oven? Oh my goodness there aren't many things I like more than that (that don't have sugar in them anyway...) I attempted to make french bread a few years ago and it was good, not great and the instructions were horrible so I ended up improvising and never made it again. Well, my favorite food blog had a recipe on it for french bread that I just had to try and it turned out A.MA.ZING! My boys gobbled it up like nobody's business and my husband and I also ate a ton. It was so good that the next day we all fought over the second loaf, now that is good stuff. Here is her recipe, but if I were you, I would go see all of the good stuff there.

2 ¼ c. warm water
2 T. sugar
1 Tbsp yeast
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
5 ½ -6 cups flour-stirred before measured

Dissolve sugar and yeast in the warm water. Let this proof—or sit for a few minutes until it bubbles. Then add salt, oil and 3 cups of flour and beat well. Add in 2 1/2 -3 more cups of flour. The dough should clean off the sides of the bowl and not be too stick – but be careful not to add too much flour. Knead for a few minutes.

Leave the dough in the mixer to rest for 10 minutes and then stir it down (turn on your mixer for 10 seconds) and then allow to rest another 10 minutes. Repeat for a total of 5 times. Then turn dough onto a floured surface and divide into two equal parts. Roll each part into a 9×13 rectangle. Roll dough up, starting from long edge of loaf to seal. Arrange seam side down on large baking sheet that’s been sprinkled with corn meal, allowing room for both loaves. Repeat with second part of dough. With a sharp knife, cut 3 gashes at an angle on the top of each. Cover lightly; allow to rise 30 minutes. Brush entire surface with egg wash (one egg beaten slightly with 1 Tbsp of water). If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

We love this so much that I made AT LEAST once a week, sometimes twice. It is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment